A "Gay Scene" denotes an area of gay-friendly establishments in any given city. These venues can be a number of things, from hotels and other accommodation, to shops, bars, clubs and massage parlours. Many of the major cities all over the world will generally have an area that is typically referred to as the "Gay Scene" or "Gay Village", but it can go by many names. In Newcastle for instance, a city in the United Kingdom that is popular for its nightlife, the gay scene is know as "The Pink Triangle" due to the fact that the gay clubs and bars form a triangle on the map.
Most Gay-Friendly Cities in the World
The most popular gay-friendly cities, the ones consistently ranked the highest by gay communities, magazines and websites, are listed below:
- New York: New York is one of the biggest, busiest and most cosmopolitan cities in the world, so it is perhaps no surprise that this is the city is is so frequently rated as the best gay-friendly destination in the world.
- Rio de Janeiro: Rio is a great overall gay-friendly city. They have some of the best gay beaches in the world, which is why the city attracts so many tourists from the LGBT community.
- Tokyo: Although it is often a surprise to see Tokyo on lists like these, the Japanese capital actually has the biggest and fastest growing gay scene in the East, with over 300 gay clubs and bars inside this technologically advanced city.
- London: SoHo is one of the oldest and most famous gay areas in this huge city, although modern SoHo is more of a red light district than anything else. London has great gay-friendly destinations throughout the city and is a very open and tolerant metropolis.
- Amsterdam: What better place for great gay-friendly venues than the city of sex?
- Buenos Aires: Buenos Aires is hot on the heels of Rio de Janeiro as it vies to become the leading gay destination in South America. Buenos Aires is packed with great clubs, nightclubs and so much more.
- Sydney: Sydney is a very young and vibrant city. It is one of the most sexually uninhibited cities on the planet and is a great place to have some fun regardless of your orientation.
- San Francisco: San Francisco has has one of the best gay scenes in the world for decades, and it continues to thrive to this day.